After several visits to your home country with your partner, you notice that every trip becomes so overwhelming to the point you end up rethinking the whole thing. You try to make everyone happy, but instead you and everyone else end up disappointed. What if you could plan a stress-free visit back home? One that enhances your relationship, leaves everyone happy and even have some alone time with your partner?
An interview with Yael Haklai-Neagu, LMFT a therapist specializing in helping couples before, during, and after relocation.
Biggest Takeaways You Don’t Want to Miss:
- One of the things I notice from couples who visit their home country is that they do as little planning as possible. After all, it is your homeland, you know the people, you know the roads, you probably have done some site seeing in the past. Unlike when you vacation at an unfamiliar place, you really do not feel the need to plan ahead. But part of the reason your trip back home is NOT stress-free is due to the lack of planning.
- My husband and I are originally from Israel. I can honestly say, our last trip back home was a success. It enhanced our relationship. We got to spend a lot of time with friends, family and even had a lot of alone time. I believe that the reason for our successful stress-free home visit was because we took the time to plan it.
- Letting everyone know that you are going back home is another part of the problem. The problem with this is that people will now have expectations from you. And you end up visiting people out of guilt instead of visiting people you genuinely wanted to visit.
- The moment you land and you are picked up at the airport, you lose your sense of time and control. I talk about how not to lose yourself the moment you land.
- Once in your hometown, you will be surrounded by many people; you won’t be able to plan anything and discussing issues with your partner will become difficult. How can planning save you from this?
- See how to divide time between family, friends and by yourself as a couple.
Check out these highlights:
- How to make your next trip back home stress-free, end up in a better relationship, in a better place and make people happy at the same time [9:13]
- The mindset that goes along with planning your trip [10:21]
- What can go wrong on your stress-free visit and what you can do about it to make it right [10:55]
- How to tell your family and friends in a gentle way, that you are traveling as a couple and you intend to do things as a couple [13:10]
- It is not ridiculous to be a tourist in your own country. [22:01]